Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sausage roll madness

With just 23 days to go until the Koh Samui Adventure Race, it’s articles like these that just send my fat-boy instincts well off the radar.

The SMH published an article this week in Good Living on where to get the best sausage rolls.

With recipes such as traditional pork and beef (with mace and nutmeg), lamb and pine-nut (with parsley, lemon and mustard), pork (with fennel and grated carrot), and lamb and harissa (with almonds, currants and poppy seeds), it’s one of the few times I’m glad I’m so far away from home! It would be carnage.

So where can you find the best sausage rolls around Sydney (according to Good Living)?
  • Berry Sourdough Bakery and Café, Berry
  • Summer Hill Village Patisserie, Summer Hill
  • Bourke Street Bakery, Marrickville
Any other suggestions? What about the bakery on the way back up to Coffs?

Meils – please do an intelligence mission for me on the Marrickville one and report back…if it’s any good, I’m thinking we should go on an excursion there next time I’m home…

4 comments:

Dad said...

I've never been a big fan of suasage rolls from the Fredo Pie Shop. I did have a really good one a couple of months ago, but I can't for the life of me remember where!

PS: The Dorrigo Bakery used to do a pretty good one - not sure where they're at now.

Belly said...

Has the Dorrigo bakery moved? I remember having one in Dorrigo on our way to the farm one year...it may have even been a breakfast sausage roll!!

Jesus, all this chat about sausage rolls isn't helping the pre-race diet!!

Mum said...

Fredo Pies and sausage rolls are too salty and not recommended in my book. Geoff had that really good sausage roll on his first outing in Stella - the crumbs got caught beside the seat, so the s/roll must have been a local Coffs one.

Bug & I will sus out the M'ville bakery for you this next coming week and report. As you know I far prefer s/rolls to the humble pie so.... just wait to hear from a professional.

Becks said...

Bourke St Bakery is amazing! Stuff the sausage rolls and head straight to the choc mousse or creme breulee tartlets. (ps there's shops in surry hills and on broadway too)