Thursday, August 27, 2009

‘O’ for Awesome

I’ve just started boxing training once a week as part of the lead-up to the adventure race, with a good mate of mine training myself and a bunch of other mates at a little Muay Thai boxing gym, roughly 20 minutes from where Clare and I live.

I’ve really enjoyed learning the basic technique, not so much the 5:20am starts, and have been feeling good after some pretty tough sessions. This week I jumped into the ring for my first ever (thankfully short!) sparring session, up against a mate who used to be a British Navy Champion boxer. Needless to say, my mate Steely can hit.

I don’t plan on becoming a professional boxer. Why? Check out the clip below featuring ex-NZ champion David Tua, who became a NZ national heavyweight champion at age 15 and a bronze medalist at the Barcelona Olympics.

Oresome.

3 comments:

Mum said...

I think that's so sad......

Pleased to miss this - can't stand fighting with or without gloves.

Belly said...

Don't worry Mum, no fighting, all "jai yen yen"...just training and sparring.

Cass said...

You now have a purpose for those boxing tank tops that you bought when you were home last!! Remain stylish at every opportunity!