Sunday, June 28, 2009

Gay Cut

There's a barber down the road called Gay Cut. I'm still not sure if they are trying to attract a niche market, or if they're insinuating that said haircut would be an exceptionally happy experience.

I went in this morning to investigate.

Its clientèle consisted of one bloke getting a pretty standard haircut, and another getting the letters 'MJ' shaved into the side of his head. No discernable evidence of sexual disposition.

After being led to the chair by a young woman sporting pink braces and tight pencil jeans, we run through the logistics of a short back and sides in Tinglish. I then settle into a Thai popstar magazine and she gets snipping.

"OK, na ka?" she asks.

I look up. Oh god.

Is that a square chunk of hair that she's just excavated off the side of my head? Yep, a number 1 job on the sides, shaped for a lover of geometric figures. I can't even go an 'MJ' now...

We worked on it somewhat, but it has still turned out to be a shocking haircut. Only another two weeks until I no longer look like a US Marine in Bangkok on R&R.

Conclusion about Gay Cut - must be named and aimed for the gay niche market.

3 comments:

Mum said...

You're sure not going to need much of that very special shampoo I gave you!! Just think of the time savings though now there's nothing to comb over anymore!

Your dad reckons you're a 'chip off the old block' but he gets a no 4.

Cass said...

Harsh mum!

Belly said...

Clare and I also spotted a little tuffet of grey hair making itself known on the top of my head, so it seems I'm heading closer and closer toward the G.W. Bell style...