Monday, November 17, 2008

Thailand sucks right now

Usually when I tell people I live in Thailand, their eyes come alive with exotic mental images of saffron robes, beaches and bucket boozing. However, they often forget that there's at times an emotional tax in living overseas.

Yesterday morning, a dear friend of Clare and mine died suddenly in Australia.

Paul was a delightfully thoughtful husband and father, a godfather to Clare, close friend to the O'Connor family and no doubt many others.

Spending time with him was as crisp and refreshing as a morning springtime walk...he seemed to have that knack of energising you in a way that only a new morning could.

In our private discussions, Paul was an amazing source of confidence and quiet advice. Apart from being a first-class, fun bloke to hang out with, he was a wonderful support as I awkwardly shuffled my way into Thailand. We discussed everything from dealing with different cultures, family and relationships, work and improving my terrible golfing short game.

And this is exactly one of those times I wish he was around for.

So right now, we have mates and family in Australia who we can't look after, and an impending funeral which we can't attend.

Those that have lived overseas know what I'm talking about, some more so than others.

Thailand sucks right now.

2 comments:

Mum said...

Think of your friend Paul, Steve and what he would say to you at this dreadful time.

I appreciate it's difficult, but be grateful for all that he was and thankful that he was there to nurture and guide when it was most needed. Nothing can be said to ease and comfort you at this moment, but know that my heartfelt love and support are with you both. M

Cass said...

Hi Stevie. Thinking of you all during this sad and difficult time. You were lucky that you had the opportunity to meet Paul and really get to know him as he sounded like a very special person. I know it's hard, but keep your chin up and call me if you need anything. Love, Cass xxx