Sunday, October 07, 2007

Smashing a ton

Well, it's been emotional. This is my 100th blog post since Hotel Bell's inception back on 4 November 2006!!!!

In January of this year, I set up a Google Analytics account to track what content people are finding most appealing, which randoms are reading my blog and from which countries, as well as to immerse myself in a web-world I've never encountered, from a general education perspective.

In celebration of the 100th, I thought I'd take a stroll through some of the quirky, questionable and quixotic results from my Analytics account:

Basic stats (since 23 Jan 2007)

  • 2,166 visits from 660 different computer IPs
  • 4,289 pages viewed, averaging 1.98 pages viewed per visit
  • Visitors spend an average of 2 minutes and 35 seconds on the site
  • Most visits in a day - 32

Languages & countries (in order of usage)

  • English, Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Danish, Italian, French, Hungarian
  • Australia, UK, US, Ireland, China, Argentina, Canada, Italy, Sweden, Germany, New Zealand, Spain, France, Singapore, Thailand, India, Turkey, Malaysia, Japan, Greece, Chile, Hungary, Romania, Brazil, Finland, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Uruguay, Austria, Norway, Luxembourg, Peru, Switzerland, Slovakia, Belgium, Egypt, South Korea, Qatar, French Polynesia, Bulgaria and Puerto Rico.

Top 6 traffic sources

Key words/phrases people used in Google to find my blog

  • "Anthony Callea"
  • "Ben Harper"
  • "Only 8 transformers?"
  • "pria young" gay
  • "ready steady cook" "channel ten" veal
  • "rubber hot water bottle" -brand -stamp
  • "ship lovers society of victoria"
  • "slavic soul party"
  • "Australian beers named after reptiles"
  • "booty shak'n girls"
  • "contiki mykonos sex"
  • "how to pick the right transformer?"
  • "mr. bean throws a spanner in the works"

...and my favourite:

  • "cleaning bat faeces off cars"

I have always set out for Hotel Bell to be like a bi-weekly gift for my friends and family overseas, up the coast or around the corner - in the hope that they can have a bit of a chuckle for at least a couple of minutes of their day.

Looking forward to another 100 posts!

4 comments:

Becks said...

Congrats on reaching 100 Mr Bell. Keep up the good work!

Cass said...

Well Done Stevie! Reading your blog is the highlight of my day! xxx

tim said...

Based on your reviewing of Google Analytics, Jim and I have decided to perform several attacks on your website. I was thinking about defacing your website, but I love it too much.

We'll probably end up just redirecting traffic from some filthy sites on the Interwebs. Keep an eye on that referral list buddy.... you might start getting a whole host of new readers!

Mum said...

For those who are a little remote, geographically speaking, this blog brings real joy and a closeness that defies the distance in kms! Thanks a heap.